Are you an adult who’s considering minor orthodontics, you’re most likely focused on the esthetic result. That’s understandable! It can be exciting to think about smiling again with confidence!
An attractive smile is certainly an asset, but you may not have given a lot of thought to the long-term health effects of orthodontic treatment. It’s true that treatment can dramatically alter your appearance, but straighter teeth also result in a healthier smile.
Crooked Teeth and Your Oral Health
You already know that crooked teeth have a negative impact on the appearance of your smile. But patients looking for a Dallas, TX cosmetic dentist may not realize how a misaligned smile affects overall oral health. Here are a few examples of oral health problems related to crooked or crowded teeth.
- Difficulty cleaning: If you don’t have clean teeth, you don’t have a healthy smile. Proper oral hygiene is essential if you want to enjoy a life free of dental problems. Crooked or crowded teeth make it difficult to practice good oral hygiene because you may not be able to floss between them. This puts you at risk for decay and periodontal disease.
- Involved orthodontic problems: When one or more teeth are crooked or crowded, surrounding teeth start to shift as well. Your teeth are constantly moving, and as the root of a crooked tooth tilts to one side or the other, adjacent teeth follow. Putting off treatment may result in more involved orthodontic problems down the road.
- Dental bite issues: If you have untreated orthodontic issues, you can end up with a misaligned dental bite. This means that teeth on one side of your mouth bite down harder on one side than the other. This can lead to a variety of problems including excess wear on teeth, jaw pain, and even TMJ.
Call the Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist Today
Why risk your good oral health with a crooked smile? With all the great adult orthodontics available today, there’s no reason to live with a smile you don’t love. Please call our office and we’ll be happy to talk to you about treatment with invisible braces.
Two key elements of effective oral health care are comprehensive dental exams and professional dental cleanings every six months. While most patients of the Dallas, TX dentist are aware of the importance of these appointments, but may not know exactly what is involved in a comprehensive dental exam and cleaning.
The following is a brief summary of the steps that we take during your six-month checkups.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Check for tooth decay: All tooth surfaces should be checked for decay or changes since the last visit.
- Examine existing restorations: Check the condition of current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Gum disease evaluation: It is essential to check the gums and bone surrounding the teeth for signs of periodontal disease.
- Diagnostic x-rays: This step is essential for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays will also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Your dentist should check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) will be performed by your dentist or a skilled dental hygienist. Appointments for cleanings include:
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky film that coats your teeth and is made up of bacteria, food debris, and saliva. If plaque isn’t removed with oral hygiene and professional dental cleanings, it continues to feed on the sugars in your mouth and produces acid that attacks dental and causes cavities.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): When plaque remains on teeth, it hardens and forms a hard deposit known as tartar or calculus. Since tartar is calcified and adheres to the teeth above and below the gum line, it can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Teeth polishing: Polishing is the final step in the process of your professional cleaning and removes stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Please Call Us for an Appointment
If it’s time for your next routine exam and cleaning, please call the Dallas, TX dentist to arrange an appointment.
Many adults live with crooked or crowded teeth because they believe the only alternative is years of traditional orthodontic treatment with metal braces. However, today you don’t have to endure years of life with uncomfortable braces to get back the smile you were born to have.
Patients who want to straighten teeth will be pleased to know that the Dallas Invisalign dentist offers the option of using Invisalign clear aligners. Invisalign adult orthodontics is an effective, efficient alternative to traditional braces. Invisalign clear braces offer a more comfortable and virtually invisible method for gently straightening your teeth.
Reasons to Consider Invisalign
- Comfortable: Invisalign aligners are made of a soft, flexible material, so they’re much less likely to create any irritation to your mouth.
- Discreet: Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible. The casual observer will not notice any difference when you’re wearing your aligner.
- Removable: You can remove your aligners when you eat, brush your teeth, or any other time that it’s necessary.
The Invisalign Process
The Dallas Invisalign dentist starts by taking impressions, images, and x-rays of your mouth. A specialized software program allows us to develop your entire treatment plan and predict how your teeth will move, from start to finish.
We send the information to a lab where several sets of clear aligners are customized to straighten your smile. You will be instructed to wear each set for about two weeks, then move on to the next in the series that has been carefully crafted to shift your teeth gently to the next stage in the straightening process. You will make visits to your cosmetic dentist about every six weeks so we can check on your progress.
Problems Invisalign Corrects
Invisalign aligners correct nearly any alignment issue you may have with your teeth. Our Invisalign dentist will help you choose the appropriate Invisalign system to correct issues like the following:
- Crooked teeth
- Spaces/gaps in teeth
Orthodontic treatment with Invisalign is a perfect choice that fits your busy lifestyle while providing the straight, beautiful smile you’ve always dreamed of. Please contact our Dallas dental office for more information and to start your Invisalign treatment!
- Looking for a Smile Makeover? The Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist Explains How Veneers Can Help
- Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Professional Teeth Whitening
- Millions Are at Risk for Oral Cancer – Are You One of Them? The Dallas Dentist Explains
- The Facts You Need to Know about Orthodontics Shared by Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist
- A Step-by-Step Guide for Dental Exams and Cleanings Shared by the Dallas, TX Dentist
- Want to Fix a Crooked Smile? 3 Reasons You Should Consider Invisalign Clear Braces in Dallas, TX
- 3 Drinks to Avoid If You Want a Bright Smile! Shared by Dallas Teeth Whitening Dentist
- Dallas Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Professional Teeth Whitening
- Avoid These 4 Foods to Keep Your Smile Healthy During the Holidays
- Dallas, TX Dentist Explains Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
New Patient Special!
$99 for comprehensive exam, x-rays and regular cleaning.
*new patient without insurance only, restrictions apply.
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...