While oral cancer makes up only a small portion of all annual cancer cases, it is still a serious problem. Oral cancer cases that are diagnosed in the early stages of development have a significantly improved survival rate — up to 80 percent after five years.
For this reason, the Dallas, TX dentist wants you to be aware of risk factors for oral cancer that might affect
Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
The following risk factors can’t be changed, but raising your awareness can help you report any potential problems when treatment options and positive outcomes are greatest.
- Heredity – There’s sufficient evidence to suggest that the probability of oral cancer can run in families even if no other risk factors like smoking
or alcohol use are present.
- Age– More than 90 percent of all oral cancers occur in individuals over 40. However, the incidence among younger people has been on the uptick recently,
perhaps related to lifestyle behaviors.
- Race – African Americans have a higher incidence of oral cancer than Caucasians.
The following are risk factors that can and should be addressed:
- Smoking tobacco use – Smokers are at five to nine times greater risk for developing oral cancer
- Alcohol– Moderate to heavy drinkers are at three to nine times greater risk; the higher the alcohol content, the greater the risk.
- Diet– A high intake of fruits/vegetables, which are high in antioxidants, has been found to have a protective effect against a variety of cancers,
- Chronic sun exposure– Often connected with lip cancers.
As part of your routine oral hygiene, you should closely monitor any changes in your mouth that don’t diminish in a few days, e.g., ulcers, sores, or white
or red patches on the tongue. We care about your overall wellness, so our dentist always performs an oral cancer screening as part of your regular
Please Contact Us for More Information
We want to do everything possible to keep your oral health and your general health on track. Please contact your Dallas, TX dentist to arrange your next exam, including an oral cancer screening by Dr. Lin.
- Our East Plano Dentist Helps You Support Oral Health Even When You’re Sick
- Looking for a Smile Makeover? The Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist Explains How Veneers Can Help
- Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Professional Teeth Whitening
- Millions Are at Risk for Oral Cancer – Are You One of Them? The Dallas Dentist Explains
- The Facts You Need to Know about Orthodontics Shared by Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist
- A Step-by-Step Guide for Dental Exams and Cleanings Shared by the Dallas, TX Dentist
- Want to Fix a Crooked Smile? 3 Reasons You Should Consider Invisalign Clear Braces in Dallas, TX
- 3 Drinks to Avoid If You Want a Bright Smile! Shared by Dallas Teeth Whitening Dentist
- Dallas Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Professional Teeth Whitening
- Avoid These 4 Foods to Keep Your Smile Healthy During the Holidays
New Patient Special!
$99 for comprehensive exam, x-rays and regular cleaning.
*new patient without insurance only, restrictions apply.
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...