How much do you know about calcium? You may know that it is one of the building blocks for strong, healthy bones, but calcium is also essential for optimal oral health too.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body, and nearly all of it is found in your bones and teeth. In addition to bone and oral health, calcium is needed for proper muscle function and to aid in blood clotting.
The Dallas, TX dentist wants you to be informed about any issues that affect your oral health, so here are a few things you should know about calcium:
Know How Much Calcium You Need
The amount of calcium we need varies by age and gender. Here are a few examples from the National Nutrition Board:
- 9 to 18 years = 1,300 mg for both males and females
- 19 to 50 years = 1,000 mg for both males and females
- 51 to 70 years = 1,000 mg for males, 1,200 mg for females
- 71+ years = 1,200 mg for both males and females
Be sure to check with your doctor before taking any supplements and always read labels. Calcium can be found in dairy products, broccoli, nuts and seeds, and beans.
Include Vitamin D in Your Diet
Choose calcium-rich foods, but don’t forget to include Vitamin D in your diet as well. Your body needs a certain amount of it to absorb calcium properly. Foods that are high in Vitamin D are fatty fish like tuna, orange juice, and milk.
Venture Past the Dairy Aisle
Many of the same non-dairy foods that contain Vitamin D also contain calcium. Some to consider are calcium-fortified cereals,
Call Us for More Information
Your Dallas, TX dentist is always happy to answer your questions and provide guidance about keeping your smile healthy. Please call us today to arrange an appointment so we can talk to you about how calcium and other nutrients can benefit your oral health.
- Dallas Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Professional Teeth Whitening
- Avoid These 4 Foods to Keep Your Smile Healthy During the Holidays
- Dallas, TX Dentist Explains Risk Factors for Oral Cancer
- The Facts You Need to Know about Orthodontics Shared by Dallas, TX Cosmetic Dentist
- The Dallas, TX Dentist Explains 3 Things You Need to Know about Calcium and Your Oral Health
- The Dallas, TX Teeth Whitening Dentist Tells You What to Expect from Professional Treatment
- Can Dental Implants Improve Your Quality of Life? The Research Says Yes, and the Dallas, TX Dentist Explains
- The Dallas, TX Dentist Shares 4 Tips for Banishing Bad Breath for Good!
- Dallas, TX Dental Implants Dentist Shares 3 Things You May Not Know about Implants
- Want to Know the Secret to Excellent Oral Health? The Dallas, TX General Dentist Explains the Importance of Prevention
New Patient Special!
$99 for comprehensive exam, x-rays and regular cleaning.
*new patient without insurance only, restrictions apply.
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...